Storage migration is the day to day activity of every Linux/Unix system administrator. In IT production environment we have to move data from one LUN (logical unit number) to another very safely without any downtime or less downtime and without corrupting the data.
What is SAN migration?
SAN migration requires strategic thinking, detailed planning, effective preparation and careful execution. The keys to SAN migration success include tasks such as ensuring firmware and driver upgrades are carried out and ensuring you work hand-in-glove with the business to minimise disruption.
Where is San storage in Linux?
Re: How to find the local disks and SAN disks in linux
- Check in /proc/partitions.
- (man fdisk) fdisk -l [-u] [device …] …
- Read the Forum Postings. https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay? …
- Read the article … http://searchsystemschannel.techtarget.com/generic/0,295582,sid99_gci1241976,00.html.
How do you transfer PV?
LVM Mirroring Methods:
- Step 1:Check new device which ‘ll be used after migration.
- Step 2:Check LVM device which you need to migrate.
- Step 3:Create PV with new added LUN device.
- Step 4:Extend VG with new added PV.
- Step 5:Add new mirror device to LVM.
- Step 6:Remove old disk from LVM.
What is SAN Drive?
A storage area network (SAN) is a dedicated, independent high-speed network that interconnects and delivers shared pools of storage devices to multiple servers. Each server can access shared storage as if it were a drive directly attached to the server. … Each switch and storage system on the SAN must be interconnected.
How do I use Vgextend in Linux?
How to Extend Volume Group and Reduce Logical Volume
- To Create new partition Press n.
- Choose primary partition use p.
- Choose which number of partition to be selected to create the primary partition.
- Press 1 if any other disk available.
- Change the type using t.
- Type 8e to change the partition type to Linux LVM.
How do I Pvcreate in Linux?
Initializing Physical Volumes. Use the pvcreate command to initialize a block device to be used as a physical volume. Initialization is analogous to formatting a file system. The following command initializes /dev/sdd , /dev/sde , and /dev/sdf as LVM physical volumes for later use as part of LVM logical volumes.
How use LVM mirror in Linux?
Here are the steps to creating LVM mirroring
- Create a two partition using fdisk command( you can use partition or whole disk). …
- Create Physical Volumes. …
- Create Volume Group. …
- Creating Mirrored Logical Volumes. …
- Creating File system. …
- Mounting Filesystem.
What is SAN storage Linux?
A storage area network (SAN) or storage network is a computer network which provides access to consolidated, block-level data storage. … Although a SAN provides only block-level access, file systems built on top of SANs do provide file-level access and are known as shared-disk file systems.
How check SAN LUN Linux?
so the first device in command “ls -ld /sys/block/sd*/device” corresponds to the first device scene in the command “cat /proc/scsi/scsi” command above. i.e. Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 29 corresponds to 2:0:0:29. Check the highlighted portion in both commands to correlate. Another way is to use sg_map command.
How do I know if my storage is local or SAN?
The way to do this is to go in to Device Manger, Select Disk Drives. All disk devices will be listed. Anything which is SAN attached will be prefixed with “Multi-Path Disk device”. All other devices will be local.